Counting Down


89 days  left to serve as an officer with my local PTA unit.  
42 days  left to serve as I finish my work with New York State PTA.
(Give me a minute.  That was just as hard to write, as it was to say when I began to tell my PTA friends that I would not be returning next year.  For the record - PTA friends are some of the BEST friends you will ever have!!)

Let's be real - THIS IS GOING TO FEEL WEIRD - I've been PTA-involved since my very first meeting when I volunteered to be a committee chair, and yes, I still believe in the mission of PTA.  I will still pay my membership dues, and I will continue to be involved, just in a smaller capacity at the region level.  PTA Leaders get into this and do what we do for one reason.  It is because of our kids - they're our #PTAWhy.  All of the committees, events, meetings with school leaders, and local, state, and federal legislators...every single one of them that I was honored to be a part of and to serve.  It was all because of these monkey children of mine.  

However, taking a step back is so very much needed.   

In a moment of reflection, this is who the monkey children are today: 
  • D-Man - the one whom I was advocating for when I discovered the mission of PTA - he is graduating from college with a filmmaking degree in 48 days!  He's already working in the field while finishing his final classes, and he's doing great things.  I don't want to miss any more amazing things that this kid will be doing in the future!
  • The Princess is graduating from high school in 82 days and will be studying Speech Pathology in the fall.  This child has been an independent over-achiever since the day that she decided to start making her own bed as a two-year old.  I know she will be fine, but if she needs me for the day, or even the weekend while she's away from home...I am 100% going to be there for her.
  • Lil' Dude (who isn't so little anymore) - He's entering his final 2 years of high school.  Parents - if you know, you know. The last 2 years are the fastest moving years of their entire school career.
When all is said and done, I will have been a parent of school-aged children for 20 years - D-Man started PreK in 2004, and Lil' Dude will graduate HS in 2024.  And through every one of those years, I  have no regrets that my level of involvement was the right thing at the right time for that moment.  (It's called Parent Engagement, friends.  Look it up.)

But I know that I don't want to miss being present for my family during these years when I really need them to know and believe that I am here for them.  I need them to know that I believe in them and that they are the 3 coolest young adults that I know.

With that being said, if you're looking for me and need me:
  • I will be #FilmKid's biggest fan on and off the Hollywood red carpet.
  • I will be hanging out with #Princess whenever she needs me, just praying that she will continue to confide in me.
  • I will still be parenting Lil' Dude and helping him make the smartest choices that he can while in high school - he has great things ahead of him that I can't wait for him to discover!
  • Mr. D and I will be getting small glimpses of what it will be like to one-day have an empy-nest.
The countdown is on friends.  
Buckle up and hang on tight - this isn't for the faint of heart! 

Candy





Comments