Dear Grandma

It was just five short days ago when I hugged you goodbye and told you I loved you.

Today I wish I could have just one more hour with you.

I think we should have tea, for you were the one to gift me my first tea set as a young girl.  I'm certain that it was probably mere water and crackers that we dined on outside on that sunny day for our impromptu tea party, but we "clinked" tea cups and raised our pinky fingers as if we were at a proper garden party.

However, knowing our shared love of family history, I would also take the opportunity to ask you to name every wife, every child, and every grandchild of all of those "Hulbert boys".  Lord knows, I've heard their names so many times in your house as you would update on how the family was doing.

But this time I would write it down.

I would listen intently as you relayed to me the Hulbert family that you've researched for years.  I know I've researched it too, but you were our original family historian.  You were the first one to take the time to put it all together, and look a little deeper into where we came from.

Thank you for investing that love of history into my life.

I think perhaps my fondest memory of you will always be when I saw you last.  For that evening when I delivered grandpa safely home after dinner, I watched as you came down the hallway to greet him.  Despite the amount of pain you were in that night, and no matter how long it took for you to make that walk toward him, you still made that slow walk, and he met you partway.

I watched him take your hand, and I heard you say to him, "Don't you let go."

He replied with a grin as he said to you, "I'm not going anywhere."

In that instant, I felt that perhaps I was interrupting an intimate moment between just the two of you, but yet I couldn't look away, for I knew at that moment I was watching a decades long love story play out before my eyes.

Rest well now, Grandma.  For you are once again well and whole, and I can smile knowing that tonight, Jesus Himself has welcomed you Home.



~C.



Comments