Happy Thanksgiving!

It's finally happened...and now that it has, the pressure is on - in a really big way!

In case you don't know my history of contributing / helping with the family Thanksgiving dinner, let me briefly fill you in. (Most are chronicled on this blog if you'd like to read for yourself.)  I get to be the "responsible" one who brings the cool whip, the napkins, the 2 liters of soda, or the dinner rolls.  That pretty much sums it up each year.  Not that I have minded, it takes a lot of pressure off to not have to come up with something completely amazing and perfect that would fit in with the delicious feast prepared for us each year.  Still, it makes me wonder about my own cooking abilities sometimes.

A few weeks ago, it hit me that I really needed to take lessons from Momma D. on her mastery in cooking her fantastically fabulous Thanksgiving dinner.  I may have mentioned on here before that she did attempt this with me...once.  But it's what she does with those extra "parts" of the turkey...yeah, even now I still can't think about the HOW and the WHAT that she makes the stuffing with.

And while I was thinking about the possibility of making Thanksgiving dinner this year, I mentioned that I wanted the recipe for these yummy "make ahead" mashed potatoes that she does.  As luck would have it, a few days later I happened to find where I already had the recipe (yay!) while I was talking with Momma D. on the phone.  I mentioned to her that I had found it in my recipe stash.

...and that's when the miracle happened.

The unbelievable.

The inconceivable.

Even now...her words are ringing in my ears and I can't believe I actually heard them...



"Since you have that recipe, then you can be in charge of bringing the potatoes this year."


Woah.

So yeah...pressure is on.  I'm thinking if I can do these potatoes up right, and impress the snot out of the family with my fantabulous cooking abilities...I may take on the "from scratch with REAL pumpkin" pies next year!


eh...okay, maybe not.


Enjoy the time with your families, and enjoy the feast ~ Happy Thanksgiving!!!

C.

Comments