What's Up??

Hello old friend.  It's been a few weeks!

I was finishing off my "40 in 40" thing, then actually TURNING 40, and fighting advocating for my children ... all of that was exhausting to say the least.  But now I have a handle on being a 40 year old woman, the school board came through for my children (on this one issue, at least), and I have the itch to start writing again.

Of course, there's the genealogy thing (also known as my obsession)...and I have a number of projects open in that arena right now between finishing up my Daughters of the American Revolution application, my Gallia County ancestor application, Mr. D.'s ancestors, the two Buffalo friends who asked me to look around, maintaining my Paulding County, Ohio website, and of course, writing more on my own ancestors.  I need to micromanage my genealogy time I think.

The monkey children are heading back to school....soon.  But I know this final week of summer vacation is going to drag at a snail's pace.  There is still the need to locate a new backpack for monkey #3, and monkey #1 has to finish reading a book and write about it.  Yes, a book he hasn't even started reading yet.  Which means I get to play the nagging, harping mom role this week.  Super.

This year I took over as executive treasurer for my school district's PTSA (think PTA, but with Student interaction).  I have A LOT of new files, binders, materials sitting in my living room that I really need to find a more suitable place for than just on the sofa.  I also need to start getting organized on how I'm going to stay organized with 6 different school's paperwork coming into me.  I need to do this now, rather than later.

I'm now also working on my new area of advocacy for my children.  If you have children in public school, take a look into the topic of "opting out" and make your own decision.  I began reading about it last spring, about a week prior to my son's state assessments, and knew that this year I would be prepared and we would take that step with him.  Of course, in principle, that means opting my daughter out as well, as she is in 3rd grade this year, and will be participating in her first year of high-stakes testing.  I was excited, geared up, ready...and after speaking ever-so briefly with her elementary principal, I'm disappointed, frustrated, and know that this is not going to be as easy as I had hoped.  I need to stay motivated.   I need to make sure that what I'm doing is best for my kids.  I thought I knew that.   But now I feel like I'm second-guessing myself since yesterday morning.

I don't like that feeling.

So I'll continue reading and learning...and making sure of what I know in my gut is the absolute best choice for my kids.  Mr. D. doesn't really say much when I get super-involved in things like this.  Truth be told, I don't think he likes it.  I don't think he liked that I was involved in fighting for smaller class sizes for monkey #2 and #3.   I don't think he likes that I've become a regular attendee at our district's school board meetings.  Maybe he just prefer I stay "June Cleaver" and bake cookies here at home and keep things neat and tidy here?

(I need this shirt!)
Don't be fooled - I was never June Cleaver.

That's what I've been up to in recent weeks.  And now, I sit here and look around my house that has become....cluttered.  And I really need to clean, but I'm honestly just tired of trying to clean around these three extra people that have invaded my home over the past 9 weeks.  So for now I just make it acceptable.  If you're coming to my house to visit, you've been forewarned.

In only 10 MORE DAYS they will all head back to school, and I can get back to doing things my way.  Whether that involves genealogy, keeping on top of my children's education, or finally finding my inner June Cleaver is anybody's guess.

C.

Comments