1980: 40 Thoughts in 40 Days

(Yes, I'm behind...still having my 40 thoughts, just more than 1 today!)

I spent this last weekend wayyyyy out and away from the city of Buffalo, leaving suburban life behind and reconnecting with my early roots from when I lived out in the country.  (Yes, that's me in the beast of a truck in the above pic)  "Country" - as in, hearing the sound of tractors rumbling down the road, smelling the local livestock first thing in the morning, and waving at every passer-by because, yes, more than likely you do know them...and it's the neighborly thing to do.

Where I lived was not on a farm specifically, but I was surrounded by farms and farmlands.  My uncle and grandfather ran farms, and we spent A LOT of time there, and I am a proud consumer of all things pork because of it.  My childhood home was surrounded by corn fields or bean fields or wheat fields (depending on what was being planted at the time), I've spent my fair share of time playing hide and seek in the corn fields, and I've choked back the dust that was stirred up as the combine would roll through the fields.

To be completely honest, I was a country girl through and through until I got married and moved into town.

How country?  Old country.  I've mentioned before that I grew up on country music, and it wasn't like today's music - this was old school.  This was beyond old school.  I think a lot of it was old country even then!  Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Conway Twitty, Mickey Gilley, Ronnie Milsap, Willie Nelson, Eddie Rabbitt, Barbara Mandrell, and Charley Pride (just to name a few)...and when that wasn't enough, throw in some good old truck-drivin' "songs" - I use that term loosely, they weren't really songs, but more like narratives set to music.  Red Sovine with "Phantom 309" and "The Gear-Jammer and the Hobo", and of course, C.W. McCall's "Convoy."

Honestly, it's a wonder how I ended up with my keen taste of music.  Everything I learned about driving truck, dogs as best buds, extra-marital affairs and divorcing spouses came from growing up with country music....ya know, Katy Perry isn't sounding so bad anymore!  (I'm only kidding!  No Jordan, you are still not allowed to listen to her!)

So while I was researching what some of the top country hits of 1980 were, I ran across this one....which I remember I really, REALLY liked singing for god only knows what reason....but take a listen while I turn my sound up for old time's sake.  But just this once.

And then I'm going to find a Broadway show tune to clear my head.



C.

Comments