Momma's don't get sick

On the one hand, nobody ever told me this rule.

On the other...you'd think I would have figured it out by now.

The "Momma's don't get sick" rule.  (Or wives either)

But as I sit here in the complete silence of my own house...silence brought on by computer games being shut down for the night, and children in bed, and husbands still out for the evening...I look around me and realize that Oh My God...what was I thinking taking three days to be sick!?!?

It began Thursday, when I awoke with a scratchy throat.  I also slept with the windows open, so I chalked it up to a sinus/allergy thing, I'd work my way through it and I'll be fine.

Nope.

Friday morning, my voice was gone and my throat was worse.  Super.  It was a "real" sore throat.  I took it easy, did the noodle soup thing...the ice cream thing...lots of water...LOTS of water.  (And I don't generally drink too much water)  Consequently, there were a lot of trips to the bathroom also on Friday.  But by Friday evening, I was calling my Urgent Care facility because it was getting worse by the minute, I was suspecting the diagnosis, and if my suspicions were correct I didn't want to risk the 3 monkies getting it.

A glance at the back of the throat, a quick swab, and a $15 co-pay later...yes, I have Strep.  End of Day 1.

Day 2 began just as Day 1.  No voice.  Throat in pain.  But mailman hubby had to go into work (Through rain, snow, sleet, and despite wife sick at home apparently...) so I stuck it out.  Pulled a bell off the shelf when I needed to get the attention of the monkey children without yelling for them, and pretty much felt like doing ...nothing.  All day.  To be honest...this thing was kicking my butt.  I took my meds, had another bowl of hot soup on a 84 degree day, drank more water...End of Day 2.

Day 3.   Voice is coming in and out.  Yay!  Felt confident enough to try a sip of soda, but that was still like swallowing a can of nails all the way down.  So it was another minimal eating, milkshake drinking kind of day.  Napped this afternoon, drank still more water...and here I am at the end of Day 3.

Silence surrounds me as my children are asleep.  And hubby?  He decided to go out with friends tonight to catch a movie.  I'm trying not to dwell on it because as I do, it just makes me a bit angry and resentful.  But I see a sink full of dishes that have been stacking up since Friday morning.  Stacking up because the dishwasher is full of clean dishes that need put away.  But momma hasn't had the voice to "remind" monkey #1 of his job...nor the energy to wildly try to have the discussion/fight with him...yet again...about his responsibilities around the house.  Besides...there are other people in the house who might pick up on it, right??

Wrong.

And it appears they don't do laundry either.

This brings me to the rule that I should have known by now... and I sure wish someone would have told me a long time ago.

Momma's don't get sick.

Tomorrow I will begin taking better care of myself.  Getting enough sleep, maybe some vitamin supplements to off-set my caffeine/chocolate habit.  Doing things that will make it more ... difficult for the little germs to make their way into my system and knock me off my feet.

Well, maybe not tomorrow.  I have dishes and laundry to catch up on first.


Comments