Thoughts on Thanksgiving

Nope, not the holiday.  (Fooled ya, didn't I?)

This is about thanksgiving, but more along the lines of the actual "giving thanks" part of thanksgiving.

It's been awhile since I've shared from my faith, but this has been on my mind, in my heart for some time, and the sermon at church this morning, just reinforced these thoughts.

Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks]


As I read this, I thought back to the miscarriages I've had.

In all things Lord?

I looked 3 rows ahead of me and saw the mom & grandma who had just lost the baby girl a few weeks ago.

In all things Lord?

My mind drifted to those who have been hurt needlessly by individuals who have used their power and position to intimidate and hurt emotionally and physically.

In all things Lord?

Death, destruction, pain, suffering...

In all things Lord?

I don't like it.  I don't understand it.  But if I believe what the Bible says...REALLY believe that it's God's Word for me now...then yes...in ALL things, whatever the circumstance.

That's a hard thing to do.

I don't think it's about saying "Thank you God for ending my pregnancies.  Thank you God for death and suffering. Thank you God for allowing me to be in this painful situation."   I think it's more about "Thank you God, even though I hate it, and it was painful...you're bringing me through.  You've brought me through.  I know you're real and sovereign and in control and you WILL bring me through, because You already know how this is going to end, and you've told me that ALL things work together for good."

It doesn't necessarily make it any easier right now, and I don't have all the answers to the "Why" questions that we all want to ask.  

I don't like not having answers.

But thank you God for my faith in You.  

Comments