Skip to main content

Bittersweet Change...

Change is good - that's what I've been told, and for the most part, I think I really believe that. (I said, for the most part.)

Almost 10 years ago, I was pregnant with our first child. And in preparation for his impending arrival, we worked hard getting that little nursery "just right", including setting up the crib. Big D slept in that crib for his first 3 years before moving into his big-boy bed, and we took apart and stored away the baby crib.

A new house, and a year later the crib was once again set up...in a new room, awaiting the arrival of the princess. I remember standing in the doorway of this nursery with my hand on my belly feeling very blessed that I would soon be the mommy of a little girl, and this would be a room for a princess!

The princess room was put on hold, because quicker than we knew what had hit, the princess was soon to be sharing her castle with baby #3!! Wanting to keep "the babies" on the 1st floor for the middle of the night moments that always happen...we found another crib - one that eventually converted into a toddler bed - set the princess up in that, and Lil' D slept peacefully in our original crib.

That was 4 years ago, and since then they have all grown up just a little and now it's time for change. The princess is getting that princess room after all, and the boys are becoming room-mates.

So today I set out to take down a baby crib for the very last time. I started in on the task very excited to be putting away yet one more baby thing. But by the time I was done, I sat there on the floor surrounded by crib parts, and remembered sitting in the middle of a different room when I was very pregnant and putting these pieces together. I remembered the 1st time that I put each of my children in that crib to sleep as newborn babies, and I remembered the 1st time I got up in the middle of the night to nurse my babies and rock them back to sleep. That crib has seen the effects of teething and the flu, and it has had it's share of diaper leaks. The springs on the side rails have always had a loud squeak giving away everytime my children wanted to try and jump in their beds without me knowing.

The crib has been put away, and I've spent the day cleaning out a room that once had 2 babies sleeping in there. I've cleaned out the closet of all diapers and baby wipes boxes, diaper bags, and various odds and ends that will no longer be needed. At one point I reached up onto the top shelf, and found a tiny little gray and white striped cap that Lil' D wore when he was just a few weeks old. One final reminder during this time of change of my babies who are growing much too quickly before my eyes.

Change can be good...but it can also be bittersweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 1945

A handful of letters from a wife in Paris, Texas to her new husband at Camp Maxey- a distance of only a few miles separating them as he continues his training in the U.S. Army.

January 21, 1945
My Dearest Darling Husband,
     Darling I just don't know exactly how I want to start my letters to you cause there are so many sweet things I could call you and you mean so very much to me.  I love you Darling and you know it I'm sure and I'm telling you I get so lonesome for you I nearly drive myself batty trying to find something to occupy my time.  But I guess I'll manage.  I went to a show this evening about 5:00 and got home around 7:30.  I saw "Alone with a Lonly Heart" or something like that.  Carry Grant played in it But it sure was a dumb picture to my notion.

I wanted Myrtle to go with me but she was afraid Bob would come home and she didn't want to be gone if he came.  Well I don't want to be gone when you come in either but she things Bob would get ma…

Silent Night...

On Friday, I spent the afternoon at my kids' school watching my 1st grader and his classmates perform their Christmas concert for all of my fellow parents and grandparents.  First and Second Graders were singing together, bringing joy into the season. I watched them all, recognizing many of the faces, probably able to name most of them if I really thought long and hard enough.

Also on Friday, in Newtown, Connecticut, 20 five-year olds went to school with the excitement of Christmas being only days away.

I can't even begin to fathom 20 less angelic voices than those that I heard at my school.

Today there are Kindergarten students in Connecticut who had spent the past few months making new friends who should've been friends for life as classmates.  Tonight, they're crying wondering why nobody ever told them about these scary, sad days at school.

...because these scary, sad days aren't supposed to happen.  That's why.

Last night my 6 year old was puttering arou…

The Great Adventure

"Discover all the new horizons, just waiting to be explored. This is what we were created for.... Saddle up your horses, we've got a trail to blaze." **


Giddy-up, cowpokes!  I have just returned home energized and ready to dig in after a weekend at NY State PTA Summer Leadership Conference.  Added to that, it was a whole western theme, so I also have these images of cowboy hats and cowboy boots dancing in my head (so much for visions of sugarplums).
This year, I had my partner in crime with me.  She is the Thelma to my Louise.  In the past, we have travelled to New York City together for an eduction debate, and also attended New York State PTA Convention together.  When we travel together, the two of us will often brainstorm in such a way about PTA and what we can do better to accomplish more, and this trip was no different.  The two of us were in our natural element attending a weekend of leadership development and advocacy training with other like-minded PTA members.
Throug…