The B-I-B-L-E



I sat here this morning and looked over at my bookshelf. It caught my eye for the first time in weeks. Shame on me, right? Oh immediately I started coming up with any number of excuses, such as -

"I haven't needed my bible at church, I work in the preschool dept. every week, so I miss the sermon anyway, and don't need to take my bible to church."

or

"But I've been reading Christian books! Brennan Manning has really grabbed ahold of my attention lately, so I've been busy reading everything he has to say!"

Blah, blah, blah...I could go on, but let's face it - it's just embarassing trying to justify why my Bible has been collecting dust on the shelf.

So I pulled it out, and just held it for a moment. A scripture from Hebrews came to mind, 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword..." But since I love The Message Bible - I read it like this, "His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon's scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God's Word. We can't get away from it - no matter what."

As much as I've come to love reading Mr. Manning's words, there are no words as precious to me - words that were written FOR ME - as this collection of love letters that I have contained in this book. His words to me are always relevant and always true.

Lord, help me to to be an example, not only to my own family, but also all of the little children that I interact with each week. Let them see the love that I have for these words that you have written to me, and also with You, the Author.

Comments