It's not about me!

Job 42:1-6 - Job answered God: "I'm convinced: You can do anything and everything. Nothing and no one can upset your plans. You asked, 'Who is this muddying the water, ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?' I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me, made small talk about wonders way over my head. You told me, 'Listen, and let me do the talking. Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.' I admit I once lived by rumors of you; now I have it all firsthand—from my own eyes and ears! I'm sorry—forgive me. I'll never do that again, I promise! I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor."

Do you know what Job (and myself) finally realized? It is all about God, not me.
  1. God's purpose is unfolding and I cannot hinder it.
  2. God's plan is incredible and I will not comprehend it.
  3. God's reproof is reliable and I dare not ignore it.
  4. God's way is best and I must not resist it.

Job finally got it. He finally realized that God's plan is profound, that His reasoning is right, and that His ways are higher than he could ever understand.

A basic starting point in worshiping God is acknowledging, "There is a God, and I am not Him." God is the one Who rules ultimately, Who governs sovereignly, and Who answers to no one. As Paul writes in Romans 11:34-36 (NIV) "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor? Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen." In other words, God is in control. And it's when we refuse to acknowledge His control over our lives, our worship of God is directly hindered.

Perhaps it's an illness for which doctors can find no cure. Maybe you're attempting to make sense of an unexpected death. Someone desiring control might withdraw in discouragement, or internally shake a fist at God in anger, insisting that He explain what's going on. Control freaks find it difficult to submit to God's always wise, loving, and all-knowing plans.

I know I did.

Comments