The Voice of Truth...

Continuing on with Job's reply to his friends -

Job 16:17-22 - "Even though I've never hurt a soul and my prayers are sincere! O Earth, don't cover up the wrong done to me! Don't muffle my cry! There must be Someone in
heaven who knows the truth about me, in highest heaven, some Attorney who can clear my name—My Champion, my Friend, while I'm weeping my eyes out before God. I appeal to the One who represents mortals before God as a neighbor stands up for a neighbor. Only a few years are left before I set out on the road of no return."

Right here before us is an example of Job's faith. He already knows (way before the New Testament lessons) that there is one who will go on his behalf before God almighty!! Those who pour out tears before God, though they cannot plead for themselves, by reason of their defects, have a friend to plead for them, and on Him we must ground all our hopes of acceptance with God. (Hebrews 10:19-23)

Bob Sorge speaks of Job's shattered vision in his book: Pain, Perplexity, and Promotion. Job 17:11 says that he lamented, "My purposes are broken off" He felt that every visionary goal he had for his life was suddenly deimated. His life goals were destroyed and now he was incapable of formulating fresh vision for the future.

This reminded me of myself. My plans, my purpose as a woman - this was what I was created for, wasn't it? If I couldn't successfully carry a child to term, then what was I supposed to do? It's in the place of dependence upon God, that {we as women} can begin to realize how many of our past goals were not received from the place of intimacy with Jesus. I wanted to have two children, and I wanted to have them by the time I was 30. That didn't happen. It's when we realize we need to depend on Him, we can rethink and begin to see that our lives can be much more fruitful if we wait, listen, and obey what God has in store for us rather than pushing ahead with our own ideas.*

After we had gotten the go-ahead to still continue to try and get pregnant, and we were told there were no medical reasons for us not to try again, I can remember thinking, "Okay, nothing is medically wrong, but...this body has failed me 3 times already, why should we try again? What makes me think this time will be any different?

There is nothing like hope in the truth to clarify perspective and keep you going. Enduring a painful journey can be done a lot more easily if you embrace truth as your companion over doubt. Truth reminds us that God is alive and just and good.

When others have come to us to try and comfort us, and they "just don't get it", remember:
  1. When we respond, listen to what they're saying and consider the character of the critic. STAY CALM. Calmly take it all in. Job did this, which prepared him for further response.
  2. Respond with true facts and accurate information knowing the nature of your accuser. SPEAK TRUTH.
  3. Use examples that represent reality and balance, trusting your defense to the Lord. LEAN HARD.
  4. Refuse to let the accusations discourage and derail you, remembering they are nonsense and lies. GET TOUGH. Trusting God is not naive presumption. Wisdom must always be applied to a life of faith.

Francis Andersen - Job: An Introduction and Commentary
*Bob Sorge - Pain, Perplexity, and Promotion: A Prophetic Interpretation of the Book of Job
Charles Swindoll - Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance.

Comments