Skip to main content

Enjoy it while it lasts!

It's mid-January, and I was able to go for a walk today. For the first time in weeks, it was not snowing, sleeting, or below freezing temperatures. And actually it was my daughter's idea last night: "Mom, can we walk to school tomorrow?" You know, why not?

So this morning, we hit the pavement for the first time in months. Myself, lil 'D, and the Princess hiked down the street and around the corner to her pre-K class, and then we turned around and did it again 2 1/2 hours later when her day was done. It was fun, it felt great to to be outside without the fear of frostbite kicking in, and it was my secret plan to get the monkey children wore out enough that they would practically beg me for a nap after lunch.

When I had mentioned to my girlfriend that I had been out for a walk this morning, she proclaimed in a single word, "Yuck".

Seriously?? Come on - when was the last time it was this nice outside? And let's be honest about our Buffalo weather, winter is a long excruciating season for us. So if we get one or two days here and there that the elements aren't working against us - I choose to enjoy what I can out of them and take advantage of it.

Enjoy it while it lasts!!

(Oh, and my secret plan worked! Monkey children slept for 3 solid hours - Again, enjoy it while it lasts!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 1945

A handful of letters from a wife in Paris, Texas to her new husband at Camp Maxey- a distance of only a few miles separating them as he continues his training in the U.S. Army.

January 21, 1945
My Dearest Darling Husband,
     Darling I just don't know exactly how I want to start my letters to you cause there are so many sweet things I could call you and you mean so very much to me.  I love you Darling and you know it I'm sure and I'm telling you I get so lonesome for you I nearly drive myself batty trying to find something to occupy my time.  But I guess I'll manage.  I went to a show this evening about 5:00 and got home around 7:30.  I saw "Alone with a Lonly Heart" or something like that.  Carry Grant played in it But it sure was a dumb picture to my notion.

I wanted Myrtle to go with me but she was afraid Bob would come home and she didn't want to be gone if he came.  Well I don't want to be gone when you come in either but she things Bob would get ma…

Silent Night...

On Friday, I spent the afternoon at my kids' school watching my 1st grader and his classmates perform their Christmas concert for all of my fellow parents and grandparents.  First and Second Graders were singing together, bringing joy into the season. I watched them all, recognizing many of the faces, probably able to name most of them if I really thought long and hard enough.

Also on Friday, in Newtown, Connecticut, 20 five-year olds went to school with the excitement of Christmas being only days away.

I can't even begin to fathom 20 less angelic voices than those that I heard at my school.

Today there are Kindergarten students in Connecticut who had spent the past few months making new friends who should've been friends for life as classmates.  Tonight, they're crying wondering why nobody ever told them about these scary, sad days at school.

...because these scary, sad days aren't supposed to happen.  That's why.

Last night my 6 year old was puttering arou…

The Great Adventure

"Discover all the new horizons, just waiting to be explored. This is what we were created for.... Saddle up your horses, we've got a trail to blaze." **


Giddy-up, cowpokes!  I have just returned home energized and ready to dig in after a weekend at NY State PTA Summer Leadership Conference.  Added to that, it was a whole western theme, so I also have these images of cowboy hats and cowboy boots dancing in my head (so much for visions of sugarplums).
This year, I had my partner in crime with me.  She is the Thelma to my Louise.  In the past, we have travelled to New York City together for an eduction debate, and also attended New York State PTA Convention together.  When we travel together, the two of us will often brainstorm in such a way about PTA and what we can do better to accomplish more, and this trip was no different.  The two of us were in our natural element attending a weekend of leadership development and advocacy training with other like-minded PTA members.
Throug…