Day 1

 4:37am

I woke up naturally, no alarm, picked up my phone to see that it is a terribly early 4:37am; 23 minutes before my regular alarm is set to go off to awaken me for work.

Suddenly I remember that I'm not going to work that day.

I'm going home.


6:09am

I texted my brother to let him know that even though I had hoped to leave earlier, I should still arrive by noon. 


7:00am

The smell of coffee is filling my car.  I don't drink coffee.  I realized it was just a skunk in the area, so that's how random my thoughts were as I was driving.  Or maybe that's how much I really don't like coffee.






10:00am

My Inner Self gave me a reminder while I was driving.

This is the last time you'll make the drive to visit your mom.

Thanks a lot for pointing out the obvious, Self.


11:43am

One last bathroom stop on this never-ending drive; stopped at a Taco Bell.  The employee behind the counter smiled at me and said "Have a great day!" as I was walking out.

That's an odd thing to say to someone whose mother is dying. 


12:35pm

Finally made it. 

I'm home, mom.


C.

Comments